I have traveled to some beautiful places in my life, but nothing compared the lush, tropical, jungles of Kauai (rightfully named the 'Garden Isle'), where visually, green is the new black and roosters are as abundant as tourists in NYC's Times Square . Serving as the tropical background in movies such as Jurassic Park, Perfect Getaway and Soul Surfer, to name a few, it's a very special dot on the map that I encourage anyone with an appetite for adventure to visit in their lifetime.
We had been told it was common for it to rain a few times a day, but from day 1, rain was 'our' thing and this time it proved true. While the weather was unseasonably wet (and all we wanted was sun after such a long and harsh winter), we made the best of the conditions, enjoyed each other's company away from our busy reality and had an incredible time!
Here are a few highlights:
- Open Door Helicopter Ride (views of hundreds of waterfalls and the breathtaking Napali Coast)
- ATVing through the jungle (stopping at waterfalls and rope swings along the way)
- Zip Lining over tree tops (in the pouring rain, I might add)
- Stumbling upon a local elementary school concert starring none other than, island native, Donavon Frankenreiter!
- Renting a jeep and taking wrong turns (ended up at the most beautiful private beaches)
- The Princeville Hotel (rumor has it Jessica Simpson is getting hitched there)
- Queens Bath (natural body of water that you can swim in and cliff jump)
- Kalalua Hike (2 miles to private beach, 4 miles to waterfalls, 12 miles too dangerous!)
- Hanalei Town (home to local art galleries, great restaurants and surf shops)
- Bubba Burgers (TO DIE FOR and visited by many celebrities such as Ben + Jen, Matt Damon, and Adam Sandler, whose photographs serve as the restaurant's wall decor)
- Shave Ice (yum!)
- Java Kai (local coffee shop with a low key surfer vibe)
- Waimea Brewing Company
- Tutu's Soup Hale (BEST piece of french toast I have ever had with coconut syrup)
- Duke's (local hawaiian vibe, great food and live Hawaiian music)